Today is Labor Day which got me to thinking about what jobs shape-shifters would be most suited for. In my books only one so far has had a “legitimate” human job–bar tender. He also, however, was a portal guardian. My other heros were just hellhounds without a real role in the human world. But if they HAD to mingle with humans, what could they do to bring in some cash? What job would make being able to go furry or scaly in the blink of an eye handy?
- Bodyguard/Bouncer – the 2 a.m. crowd would really think they’d had one too many
- Detective – How handy would it be to not have to wait for the canine unit to track down that bad guy?
- Teacher – Have you read The Teacher from the Black Lagoon?
- Cocktail waitress – Okay, maybe it wouldn’t make them better at the job, but speaking as someone who has cocktail waitressing in her past, I would have KILLED for a nice dragon tail to smack a few heads with. And fire breath? C’mon!
- BMX Biker/acrobat/surfer – Who could out balance a feline shifter? Although getting caught in a wave might put them off a bit.
- Search and Rescue – A bird shifter would be hard to beat here, or canine–maybe even a bear!
- Treasure Hunter – Looking for undersea treasure? Call in a selkie!
So, what’s your job? And what shifter would you like to be to make it easier?
AND Happy Labor Day!!